2.What is a typical day like for the Head of Ground Operations?
A typical day for me involves keeping up to speed with emails and the live operation. Sometimes answers are needed urgently regardless of what day or time it is. I work with my team to achieve the set targets and goals for each area while constantly looking at ways to improve.
I am also there to provide guidance and support to the team with the different projects being worked on. Every day is different – some days are filled with meetings; other days are spent at my desk and I get to cross lots off my to-do list. Some days don’t go as planned and we always must be ready to deal with the unexpected!
3. What’s the best thing about your job?
It’s not boring – I am one of those people who genuinely loves my job!
4. How would you describe the culture in Stobart Air?
There is a really friendly culture at Stobart Air. Employees can confidently express opinions and thoughts among work colleagues. Management always take your ideas into consideration when developing tasks and responsibilities.
5. How would you describe the Culture in Stobart Air?
Stobart Air is open, friendly (you see that through new people who join the company and are made to feel very welcome) busy and it’s a very positive place to work.
6. Do people have a nickname for you at work?
People generally call me “Ali”. No doubt I have other nicknames that I am unaware of!
7. When you’re not working, what do you do for fun?
I’m a big rugby fan and try to attend as many matches as I can. I’m a proud Leinster fan, living in Munster, which can be dangerous!!! I also love music, especially live music. I experienced the fun of Electric Picnic last year and I’ve seen Pink and George Ezra so far this year.
8. What’s the most important thing you’ve learned during your time at Stobart Air?
If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again! There is a lesson to be learned every day. Some tasks may prove to be challenging at first and you may make mistakes but there is always credit for making an effort and you will feel a sense of accomplishment after.
9. Describe Stobart Air in three words?
Safe, friendly and challenging.
10. How has Stobart Air changed since you’ve been here?
The company has changed considerably since I started here. We have changed our name a few times, changed from operating under our own brand to a franchise and wet lease operation. We have developed a much stronger safety culture and we are not a small family airline anymore. It is a huge achievement to successfully introduce the Embraer jets onto the AOC and see the company rebuild and expand over the last few years.
11. What is your proudest moment from working at Stobart Air?
There are several things that have make me proud such as the introduction of Embraer jets onto the AOC and the great people in my team. Personally, it was when I finished my honours business degree with CIT while working full-time.
12. What advice would you give somebody starting out in Stobart Air?
Don’t give up, be passionate and enjoy what you do. Also, don’t be afraid to be different and have a voice
13. What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned during your time in Stobart Air?
Be honest and do the right thing.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
My biggest pet peeve is when someone says, “it’s not my job”.
15. What is your hidden talent?
My hidden talent will remain hidden 😊